A Mediterranean Diet is an eating regimen that is proven to reduce risk factors for various diseases. Research indicates that the Mediterranean Diet can help lower cholesterol, promote weight loss, improve rheumatoid arthritis, and reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, metabolic diseases, and various types of cancer. The Mediterranean diet is recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. It is proven to be successful because it is sustainable and allows for well-rounded and flavorful meals.
The primary components of a Mediterranean diet consist of:
- Vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, and healthy fats
- Fish, poultry, beans, and eggs
- Moderate portions of dairy products
- Limited intake of red meat
- Eliminating processed and sugary foods from your diet altogether
It’s important to note that a Mediterranean Diet is focused on vegetables, fruits, and grains rather than on meat and dairy.